Monday, May 10, 2010

The first creative adventures of the summer.


With yesterday being Mother's Day, it inspired me to start my creative endeavors. For the past few years I wake up and make breakfast for my mum on Sunday morning, and each year I try to do something a little different. Sometimes it's pancakes and a fruit medley, other times waffles and yogurt. This year I decided on Quiche Lorraine and Mixed Berry Oatmeal muffins (thank you allrecipes.com, my favorite site for yummy recipes!). I also made her a little card, which only took a few minutes to make, but I really like how it turned out. I love my mama quite a lot...she still makes my bed for some reason, and I can talk to her about a lot of different things. She shows me everyday what it's like to walk with Jesus, and I love that. She's completely silly and goofy and I really respect her for all she does. It may not be Mother's Day anymore, but I think I'm going to give her a great big hug tonight.



The crust turned out a little burnt, but the inside was fluffy! For the muffins, I added both blueberries and strawberries and substituted applesauce for vegetable oil. We also ran out of flour so I just used a little Bisquick...you couldn't tell a difference! A day later they're still moist and taste great with coffee.

For the duplex I'm renting with 2 of my best friends this upcoming school year, I found the perfect dining room chair in my family's basement that I'm going to paint and possibly distress. I've never distressed anything before, so this could be quite the adventure. Here's the before picture:

Back view



Front view



Yep, it's a rough little piece, but I love it to death! I cleaned it off today and scraped a few layers of paint off (I think it's been painted at least 5 times) and it's looking a lot better! It's what my favorite author Edward Monkton might call "a richly charactered individual." I'm still deciding what color to paint it and such but when I do, I'll let you know. Definitely thinking a mustardy yellow right now...the big question is: to distress or NOT to distress?

No comments:

Post a Comment