Friday, January 3, 2014

Hello, 2014!

Our feet(s).

Well, this is my second (maybe third) attempt to get back into the blogging world. I'm not really making resolutions for 2014, more like "Things I Really Want To Do-tions", and blogging would definitely fall under that list. Maybe the thoughts that run through my head on a daily basis aren't as funny or clever as I think they are, but either way, I'd still like the chance to share them.

I'd like to post more photos of my food and dessert creations, and also write about the things I hear as a preschool teacher that sometimes aren't supposed to make me laugh, but they still do. One of my favorites so far is "Mrs. Danielle, he said 'butt butt weiner butt in my butt butt weiner...butt!!'" I mean, how are you supposed to combat that with a straight face?? Sure, I had to send him to time out for saying that slew of potty words, but inside, I was dying from laughter.

My handsome brother and his beautiful bride!


I may even post a song or two. I've been pretty slack on playing my precious uke, but every once in a great while when I do pick it up, I realize how much I miss playing it. And who doesn't smile when they hear a little ditty on a cute ukulele?

All of that to say, I have high hopes for 2014 and for all the joys, trials, and fun it holds. I recently read a John Piper devotional, and in it he talked about how the ending of each year is kind of like a rehearsal for the end of our lives. Yes, a little morbid, but also something interesting to think about. Everything that made that year great or terrible for you is drawing to a close, and you will never have that time back. I have to say, out of all of my years of living (except maybe the year I turned 10 and was FINALLY able to get my ears pierced), 2013 had to be my favorite year. The best thing about the year would have to be our wedding (and all of the DIY projects that led up to it). September 7th was the best day of my 25 years, hands down. So many wonderful people from all over came to celebrate with Ben and I, and although I didn't get to spend as much time with everyone as I would have liked, I still appreciate the fact all of our dearest friends and family were present and eating fro yo, laughing, and sharing our joy.

Sweet Baby Max, my bffs ADORABLE little boy who was born in March.

Back to the devotional. With the closing of the year, Piper encouraged you (me) to ask ourselves...Did I live this year well? Will Jesus Christ, the righteous judge, say "Well done, good and faithful servant?"

Hm.

I think of all the joys and moments that I lived to their full capacities this past year...and yet I also have to think of all the times I got angry, or lived in fear (because getting married can be a little bit daunting sometimes), had selfish thoughts, got jealous, didn't take the time to listen to someone in need...the list goes on and on. As I reflected on my less-than-lovely moments of 2013, it really got me thinking on what I would like to change in 2014. And in 2014, I want to  (Lord-willing) be a more influential person. What that looks like, I really have no clue...except I've started a small list to try and keep my focus in that direction. It all came to me while I was journaling the other morning, and while I'm still thinking of  more things I'd like to accomplish/improve upon this year, this is the beginning of my list.

I love these women.


2014.
1). Speak with love and honesty.

2). Forgive quickly, and sincerely. I'm sure this sounds cliche, but marriage has taught me this more than anything else. I don't always want to do this, because, well, I'm human, and prideful, and gosh darn it I am RIGHT! But at the end of the day, will it matter more if I was right, or if I chose to forgive? I'm going with the latter. (Because more often that not, I am WAY wrong).

3). Listen more intensely. My preschoolers are always telling me things, and too many times I dismiss them quickly because we're doing something that requires them to be quiet, but what if I actually take the time to hear them out? Or if I can't listen to their story right then, what if I truly took the time to listen to it later? I'm also realizing that I struggle with listening in my own home. All too often I'll be multitasking while Ben is talking to me and only catch part of what he's saying. I'll ask him the same question I asked two minutes prior, which makes me feel like I'm 25 going on 85. What if I actually listened to his answers? If Ben can take the time to explain something to me, then I certainly can take the time to listen to his response. 

4). Smile at strangers more; do kind things for them. Sure, it's awesome to surprise those I love, but what about the older woman standing behind me in line? What if all she needs that day is a smile and a kind word? Two completely free, small acts of kindness that could make her whole day.

5). Take time to remember the special moments. I'm trying to do this by writing a sentence down each day, though knowing me it's more like half a paragraph. I want to remember what I did that day and how I felt. A distant relative of mine kept journals like this from the 30s and 40s, and it is SO cool to look back on those now and see what was important to her. 

6). Act on creative ideas. 

7). Finish projects that have been started. Any multi-tasker knows this all too well...you start that t-shirt blanket one winter and never finish it because then you start making aprons, baking cakes, dog sitting (?) and then pretty soon it's June and who wants to make a blanket in June? FINISH THINGS.

8). Be a better wife. I don't know when the "wife-ing" abilities start to kick in, but somedays I feel on top of the world and other days I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. One thing I have learned is that in marriage, there is no room for selfish/self deprecating thoughts, so that is probably where I should begin, by banishing those "woe is me" thoughts before they can even step foot in the door. The past is the past, and no matter what hurts or habits I've developed from previous relationships, it is high time I get rid of those hindrances all together and focus on the here and now, the beautiful present, and the wonderful man I've been given to love. 

The Vintage Pearl literally makes the coolest things.


8 may seem like an strange number to stop at, and I have more things floating around my head, but I want to make sure they're actual things I'd like to work on, as opposed to just things I want to write down to fill out this list. For now, I think I'll stop here. I know I didn't specifically come out and say "grow closer to God", because that's implied. All of these things are things I feel the Father is putting on my heart to do, so in turn, I can glorify Him.

I hope that you can come on this journey with me, and the adventures that are surely waiting for me in 2014. What are the things you'd like to do this year? How will you change you world?

Let's get started, friends. Only 362 more days to make this year the best one yet.


Love and joy,

D.





No comments:

Post a Comment