Monday, January 6, 2014

Creative input needed, friends! *UPDATED*


One of the super fun parts about being married is having a place to call our own, and a place to decorate! Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful that my parents allowed me to live with them, but I never really felt like it was home after I'd had my own place in college. Mom, dad and I were always struggling to keep our stuff from piling on top of each other and you don't even want to know how many places I had all of my baking equipment. (Is it okay to have your KitchenAid in your bedroom? Juuust joking. Kind of).

Now that Ben and I are settled into our own home, we've been slowly but surely decorating. While our styles don't fully mesh at times, we can both agree that we aren't knick knack people, and aren't into collecting glass animal figurines, clowns or small spoons from each state. We also don't want 8,000 photos of ourselves on every spare wall and shelf.

While I've had some trouble deciding on how to decorate other parts of our house, I HAVE decided on a plate wall for our kitchen, because 1). I think they're pretty and 2). it would help to disguise our security system pad! I'm thinking getting mostly white or ivory plates, with maybe one or two teal plates to go with some of the other teal accents we have.

Wanted: plates.
The one room I just can't seem to decide on is our bedroom. The previous owners had many strong colors in the house, and the bedroom was no exception. On three of the walls they had painted the walls charcoal (yikes) and had black furniture and a gray bed set. It felt like a very scary and strange dungeon. Needless to say, we chose to lighten it up quite a bit, and now it's a lovely, un-scary, soft shade of green.

Notice the couple in the photo frame? Maybe I should change it to a photo of us...




My dresser, which I decorated with a few things from our wedding decor. I'm all about re-purposing!

As you can see, we have several blank walls that need a bit of jazzin' up, but I'm at a loss as to what to do! Maybe only one wall needs something, but is it the wall above the bed or the wall above the TV?? HELP! My lovely bestie gave us a beautiful old window, which could be filled with photos...scrapbook paper...a quote...the possibilities are endless. Maybe we could hang it somewhere in the bedroom? Once again, HELP!

So friends, this is where I'd love your input. If you have any fabulous decorating ideas, please leave me a comment! I'd love to see what you envision for this space!

*UPDATE!*

I just want to say a quick "thank you" to all of you who have given me some really great ideas for our bedroom. (Ben's thoughts-"Go for it!" Woohoo! Thanks babe!) I've decided to concentrate on decorating the wall above our bed, but I have yet to think of what it is I'd like to go there. For now, I'm going to try and concentrate on one project at a time and focus on sewing some curtains. I've done a bit of measuring today (mostly with my hands and eyeballs) and I think that even though it'll be a tight squeeze, two curtain rods will definitely fit in there. Here are said windows:

This is the type of window treatment I think would look best and thankfully, Ben agrees!


I looked at fabrics today and found a few that caught my eye, but of course, I'm having trouble deciding so once again, I'd love your input. Maybe you like these choices and maybe you hate them...either way, let me know! Oh and here's our bedding for another point of reference:

 Here are the fabric choices for the curtains so far:

A

B

C

D
(Not sure why the wall colors are different, but it's closest to "A"). Thanks for reading this again!



 Love and joy,

D.

3 comments:

  1. If you are going to do a statement wall, do it behind the bed. Thats the wall you see when you first walk in, right? Depending on the window shape, looks like you could hang it above the bed to add some hight. Add some curtains, that will add life immediately. Also, an area rug would bring in some extra texture and color.

    Do you guys own the house? If so that opens up a lot of options. You should collect some images of spaces/colors/pieces that you like (Pinterest, baby!) and use them as inspiration.

    I love the idea of a plate wall. I did one in my kitchen and its so pretty and adds so much to our tiny kitchen. I did a blog post on how I did it, I really recommend doing a mock up with paper and tape before putting holes in your walls.

    Oh, I love this kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW you'd have some awesome input, Corey! I actually got the inspiration for a plate wall from you, because I saw yours and just loved it so much!

      Yes, the wall above the bed is the first one you see when you walk in. We actually have pretty high ceilings in there, but it'd be nice to emphasize those for sure. Our windows are super close together and in the corner of our bedroom (I actually posted a photo of them on facebook yesterday. Should've put them in the blog!)

      We do own the house, which does make doing things a bit easier. I'm not sure where we'd put the rug, but I like that idea. I also love the idea of a small chair in one of the corners as well, possibly something with a pattern to add a bit more life.

      Thanks for your suggestions...love you! :)

      Delete
    2. Check out some thrift and vintage stores for plates, also World Market, Pier 1 and target often have really interesting plates.

      I love the idea of a reading nook in a bedroom, we have one in ours and its just so cozy. If you see a chair with good lines in a thrift store just get it and recover it in a great fabric. No need to spend a bundle. Put a chair in the corner with some pretty drapes, a little rug, a small side table/book shelf with a lamp and some accessories.

      If you guys are open to painting you could put some vertical stripes on the wall behind your bed to emphasize your high ceilings. Or just paint the wall a slightly darker color than the rest of the room. Or make a pallet wall, thats a big project but a huge impact!

      Love this! Love you! Blessings to your home and your family.

      Delete