Tuesday, January 28, 2014

24 (Fun?) Things to Do and Not Do When You Have Been Vortexed.



I go against my own rule (#24) doing this, so feel free to judge me.
If you currently live in a frozen tundra, formerly know as Ohio/75% of the USA, and you have had more snow days than school days in the past month (sorry/not sorry non-teachers), then this post is for you. Or if you're living in a state that's 75 and marvelous, this could also be for you, because it will remind you to pray for those stuck at what FEELS like the North Pole. (Currently, it feels like -21 degrees here. At least that's better than -32, right?)

As I've been slowly slipping into cabin fever/crazy town, I've been formulating this list in my mind. It's inspired by all of the lists people are currently posting on Facebook such as "150 Ways to Use Coconut Oil", "17 Ways to Tell He Really Loves You", and "37 Signs You're TRULY alive" (what happened to breathing?), to name a few. I mean come on, it's getting a liiiitle ridicaluss. So I've decided that instead of trying to beat 'em, I'm gonna join 'em, and provide you with a list of my own. None of these things have any guarantee to make your life better or worse in any way, but if you find yourself Vortexted and crazy, then you can certainly give these fun(?) things a try!




1). Start watching a TV series on Netflix that you've always wanted to watch...for me, it's been 30 Rock. Up to episode 76, baby!

2). Write a blog post about everything you're doing.

3). Clean. Or at least make a valiant effort.  This may not be fun but it sure keeps you moving and warm!

4). Wear a pedometer and get your 10,000 steps in by going up and down the stairs, jumping up and down while singing a song in your head, and/or run around the kitchen island several times.

5). Finish (or attempt to) all of those crafts you've started, but then forgot about. 

6). Go through your closets and find those ugly clothes that you swear you'll wear someday and give them to Goodwill. YOU WILL NOT WEAR THEM. You may also want to get out your shorts and dresses in an effort to coax the warm weather out of its hiding place. 



7). Make more food than 2 people will ever eat in their lifetime, let alone the next week. (P.S. Ovens are WARM). 

8). Dream up new kinds of cheesecake...but then realize you can't make them, because there is no way on the Lord's white and snowy earth you're going to the grocery store!

9). Drink between 2 and 12 cups of coffee throughout the day. I would say "any warm beverage of your choice", but no, these are DEFINITELY coffee days.

10). Look for snow rollers...from the comfort and warmth of your kitchen window.



11). Live vicariously through the photos of your friends' vacations to tropical locations...except the ones who were on the Neurovirus Cruise. Nobody wants that.

12). Go through old photos on your computer and reminisce about all the strange and fun things you did in college. 



13). Tell someone that you're thinking about them. Not in a weird, stalky way, but if someone comes to mind, tell them so! I find myself thinking about long lost friends, yet I never do anything about it. I'm trying to make it a goal to actually tell those people, because you just never know when someone needs a smile or an air hug. 

14). Belt songs REALLY loud in your house...go for a Grammy or a Tony! (For me, its been "I Dreamed A Dream" from "Les Mis". I save this for when the hubs is at work, not while he's trying to sleep). 

15). If the temp reaches above 0 and you feel like going out, walk around your local grocery store with as many layers on as you can. Who cares if you've brushed your teeth or taken a shower in the last two days...nobody can smell you!


16). Lesson plan. Because while you're on Pinterest looking up "Three Little Pigs activities for Preschoolers," you just may stumble upon pins having to do with home decor, or vacations, or cake designs. Multitasking! 
 
 17). Get lost reading blogs about parenting and cloth diapers and natural birth experiences and then stop, and realize that you just aren't ready for that right now. (I AM NOT PREGNANT). 

18). Do NOT open any doors for any reason, especially if you are not wearing socks or pants. You will regret it immediately. 

19). Do NOT throw boiling water out your door and film it. You run the risk of it coming back in your face and scarring you for life, and everyone already did that the first time around.


20). Download the "Team USA" app and read up on your favorite Olympians. Because the Sochi Olympics are the best thing since the last Olympics. This is not open for discussion.




21). Do NOT read/watch sad articles/movies. This is not the time to look at Buzzfeed's "23 Photos That Will Break Your Heart." Seasonal Depression is real, and you do not need to become its victim!

22). Chew lots of gum to stop yourself from gorging on chocolate, carbs, and any sort of food that is remotely warm and comforting. Or, just go to town and don't look back. I won't judge.

23). Consider exercising by using things around your house, like soup cans, or the stair case. Or, do like I do and spontaneously bust out 12.5 crunches and 7 squats, then repeat at 3 hour intervals. Or whenever the "spirit of fitness" takes over you. Which hasn't been a lot lately...

24). Do NOT take selfies of yourself out in the frigid air. You're probably getting frostbite and, like #19, we've ALL done it. Personally I choose not to do it because I look slightly androgynous since every sort of girly feature is covered by a coat, hat and scarf. The plus side is that my eyes look bluer in all this white...thanks Nordic ancestors!





This is just a start, and with more freezing days to come, I'm sure I'll be adding to this list frequently. But for now, I'm going to finish watching 30 Rock, clean the kitchen, and eat comfort food in my stretchy pants. Happy Vortexing!


Love and joy, 

D.
 

 

   





 
   

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up. Has it only been four years since the infamous caldwell olympics heyday? I connected with this post on such a spiritual level - I've been reading 'the badass breastfeeder' (why? so weird! so not relatable to my life! i can't stop!) and plowing through some serious nexflix marathons.

    AMERICA!

    ReplyDelete