Friday, July 15, 2011

Time flies...

..not only when you're having fun, but also when you least expect it. It continues to fly even when the day seems slow and pretty soon you go from struggling to stay calm as the 5th child comes to you with "homesickness" (which, if you didn't know, is a communicable disease), to saying good-bye, to welcoming thirteen 13 year old girls into your cabin and life. Seeing how my new group of campers interacts is like a step back in time for me, and has caused me to ponder the passing of time, and how not so long ago I was one of those girls. I often think "how would I act if I were a camper with these girls?" and truth be told, I'd probably be just as loud and boy crazy. It's funny to me how much a difference I've noticed between my Junior campers and the YAI's I now have. There's only one year separating them, yet it feels like 20. More make-up, more time to get ready, more independence, and a little bit less respect for Elise and I. We haven't had any major dramatic incidents, and I'm praying that the drama is kept on the stage for the rest of the time they're here. I find myself struggling a bit to connect with these girls, because they're SO independent and don't rely on me as much for support and love. I think we just need to get to know each other better and they need to know they can trust me. I'm different from their mom, yet I can't quite be their BFF, because there still has to be a definite line they can't cross with me. I have to love always, yet discipline when necessary. Being a teacher/mentor/counselor is HARD work...yet I love it so completely. God, is this what you want me to do with my life???

Besides the uncertainty I'm feeling in several areas of my life right now, God has given me SO much joy. On Sunday, I was finally able to return to Euzoa Bible Church, the sweet little church I walked to several times last summer. My fear upon returning was that it would've changed in a negative way...maybe gotten smaller or switched pastors or something. But as I walked up to the church, some of my fears were laid to rest as I saw TONS of cars in the parking lot. When I walked in and was once again greeted warmly, I felt instantly at home. It's been awhile since I've really felt connected to a worship service and able to fully bask in God's glory. But at Euzoa, I just let it all go and once again raised my hands in worship. Tears were welling up in my eyes as my mind filled with a million thoughts...thoughts of Christ and his love, how perfectly at peace I felt, how I wished my loved ones could be experiencing it with me. The message was also wonderful, and just what I needed to hear. The pastor spoke about identity, and how the most important place to find our identity is in Christ. Compared to that, nothing else really matters. In light of my future (which continually hangs in the balance), this was such a comfort to my spirit to never stop seeking GOD'S will for my life, no matter who tells me to do or don't move somewhere or what. Or no matter how loudly my heart speaks and tells me to move back to Mississippi because of a certain someone. I mean, if that's what God wants for me then I'll go, no questions asked, but I don't think I can say for sure that's what he wants at this time. But enough about the future...here are some things that I'm grateful for RIGHT NOW:

-the view out my door
-epic sunrises/sunsets
-AMAZING food
-the Ladder 110 from Johnny B. Good's
-talking about the South (including small girls wearing big bows) with my camper from Baton Rouge
-talking with my girls....finding out about their lives, boyfriends, everything
-the simple joy of an amazing bowl of oatmeal in the mornings, accompanied by an equally amazing cup of coffee
-the restoration of relationships...realizing how very important someone is to you
-smiles. Smiling is my favorite.
-days off
-Tevas
-living in a rustic cabin for 2 months
-realizing how very open and exciting the future is
-daydreaming
-Euzoa Bible Church
-letters from a special someone...and writing letters in return


I could go on and on, but I won't. I have to go get my girls from a hang out spot on camp called the Green Room. This little hour break I've had is much needed, and I'm looking forward to going to church again tomorrow morning. I'm actually walking with a college student to church whom I found out was a Christian last Sunday. Praise God for fellowship and his faithfulness.

It's hard to believe I have less than a month here, and I'll try to be better at posting things...

No comments:

Post a Comment