Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Home Life.

Even though this is bad quality, this is me at the end of my first 5K!

Since I got home from my trip to Mississippi, it's literally been a "hit the ground running" type of situation. I came home in time to be present for the Marion Popcorn Festival, a local "treat" that's put our small town on the map. (Food Network came and filmed a little feature on it several years ago...holllllah). I can't say I like to frequent this event, as sugar coated and cute that the Food Network made it sound. When I was a child, I had to ride on the float for my dance studio every year since the early 90s, while strange men and children whooped and hollered from the sidelines and called out "Let's see ya do a little dance!" Nor when I actually went to the festival can I say I came away with good memories. This may sound like an exaggeration, but one night I remember walking around, and seeing a young goth couple. The girl had a leash, which was chained to her boyfriend's (?) spiked collar, while carrying a baby doll that looked like a cross between the doll that Syd from "Toy Story" reinvented and Chucky. YIKES. The fair food, amount of sketchy people, and the occasional fight between youngsters are also factors that make me want to stay in the comfort and safety of my home.

But this year was a little different. I found out Grace Potter and the Nocturnals was going to be there, and since I missed their free concert in Steamboat this past summer, I felt like their presence in my life a second time was a sign I needed to go. And once again, it was free, so how could I turn that down? My lovely friend Lindsay went with me, and let me tell you what, it.was.AMAZING. I am now a Grace Potter fan. She is a completely fierce being, and totally channels the vibes of the female rockers of the 60s and 70s, a la Janis Joplin. I managed to get some pretty cool pictures, though a lot of them were blurry because she was literally jumping, dancing and head banging the entire time. Here's a favorite of mine.

Blurry, but undeniably fierce.

The next morning, I went back downtown to run my first 5K, and I LOVED it. I think I'm going to keep training and running in races all around Ohio. The tough part is, most of them are $20+, and although I'm all about supporting a good cause, I know my budget won't allow for too many races in a month. One race in particular that I'm interested in is part of the Wellness In The Woods series. All of the races in that series take place at various metro parks around Columbus, and the money goes to benefit the upkeep of those parks. I'm not going to lie, part of the draw for running is getting an organic cotton eco-friendly t-shirt. Who wouldn't want one of those?? The goal for my next race is to run it in exactly 30 minutes, but I know I'm going to have to be more consistent with running in order to achieve that goal. I started off this week pretty great, but a few physical issues and busy days have stalled my progress. Oh, and making up excuses has also slowed me down a bit. Note to self: MUST work on standing up to myself next week.

The Homestead at Christmastide.

So here's the burning question on everyone's mind: What is life REALLY like at home? Well, honestly it's kinda weird. Not weird in a bad way...it's just different. I'm no longer a high school student, or any kind of student at all, so there's no pressure of school or wearing uniforms or any of the silliness that goes along with high school. A lot of people who first found out I was moving back in with good ol' Mike and Jen laughed a little, and made some sort of comment like "Uh-oh, how's THAT going to work out?" So far, it really hasn't been that bad at all-it's actually been a really positive and fun experience. Although I have enjoyed living in other states the past several years, there's something about being home and being in your own room with familiar surroundings that just can't be replaced, no matter how far you roam. (Commence writing sappy Country song NOW). There's also something about not living out of a suitcase that's really priceless too. I don't see my time at home as one big sigh, or a step in the wrong direction, but instead this will be a time to reconnect with my parents, try to give back to them in some small way, grow in my faith, and saving money. Lots of money. Another exciting thing is that I actually get to experience this year is FALL -yippee skippee! It's quite easily my favorite season. I've missed it very much.

One way that I've really enjoyed "giving back" is through cooking and baking. I have missed our 1930s gas stove like you wouldn't believe. It's like an old friend; I know its quirks and oddities, it's slightly dangerous, yet I love it all the same. It feels wonderful to don an apron and bake new and lovely smelling things. With fall right around the corner (and a bushel of apples I picked just waiting for me in my basement), breads, desserts and my first batch of applesauce are calling out to me to make them. I LOVE to substitute healthy things for unhealthy things in recipes, so I hope to be putting some of the items I've baked on here soon. If you were to join me in my kitchen tonight, you'd find this Chunky Vegan Sweet Potato Bread with Rosemary being baked, a bevy of apples being dried in order to make Apple Chips, and my own version of Glazed Apple Cookies just a bakin' in my oven. (Yes, it will smell very good and much like fall). Some mixture of Mumford and Sons, Adele, and Bon Iver will be playing and possibly tea will be brewing. Join me.

All of that to say, life is good. Beautiful even. Today's temperatures are a sign of cooler days to come, and a drive in the country early this morning really put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. I know moving home isn't for everyone, and some people might think I'm lying when I say I'm really enjoying it and that I love waitressing at a local restaurant. I've promised to write blog posts about life lessons that I'm learning, but in an effort to stop this novel I've started writing, I'll make my first lesson brief and sorry guys, it's targeted towards the ladies.

It is this: No matter how many language barriers stand between you and your boss (mine happens to be a fiery Argentinian woman), feminine issues are always understood with very few words being used. And for that, I am extremely grateful.





Link


No comments:

Post a Comment