Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Community.


With every job that is complete,
there is a sense of bittersweet.
That moment when you know the task is done.
Though in your heart you'd like to stay,
to help things on their way,
You've always known, they must do it alone.


Those are the words Mary sings at the end of "Mary Poppins", after she's finally helped to set things right in the Banks' household. As our Mary (Sara) sang them every night, I kept thinking how fitting and beautiful they were, and the deeper meaning that they would hold for all of us when "Mary Poppins" closed. 

I and my cast mates truly felt those words as we took our final bows. Emotions ran high from before the show started to after it ended, and as many of us tried to sing the bows one last time, we knew in our hearts that it was time to say goodbye to the magic that is/was "Mary Poppins". It's hard to pinpoint the exact thing that makes this show one of the hardest to say "goodbye" to. Maybe it's the time we've all put into it. Maybe it's the unwavering dedication...some of us arriving early to rehearsals to practice "Step in Time." Maybe it's the magic that the set designers built into our beautiful set. Maybe it's the tough tech week we all went through together. Maybe it's the response of the audience...the cheers as we finished "Supercal" and "Step in Time", the standing ovations each night. It is all those things, and so many more. 

I'm so glad that is was at this point in life that I was able to part of this show. As a teen, I might've missed some of the beauty of it. When you're between the ages of 13-16, it's just natural to be concerned about the cute boys in the cast or your costume or friend drama. I'm sure I was like that...we all were. In heart and mind I still feel quite young sometimes, but the realization that I'm not as young anymore hit me hard after learning "Supercal" and "Step in Time." The sweat and the soreness and the thoughts of "will I ever learn this??" were all too real. I know that 26 isn't old by any means, but it got me thinking about how much longer I'll be able to keep up with the teens or be part of those high energy dances. Time continually marches on and while in some ways it's sad, it's also a reminder that the torch must be passed on someday to the up and comers (or "whippersnappers" as I like to call them). Time to take a small step back and let them have the spotlight and enjoy their moment. 

As we grow older, the "magical things" of life slowly begin to fade, and if you're not careful you become a little jaded and bitter. How refreshing it was to spend a summer being reminded that there is good in the world, and that you can have a small part in that good. It's nice to be reminded that no matter your age, you can still chase your dreams, and help others chase theirs. It was such a joy to watch the youngest cast members experience the magic, and begin to grasp why theater is so very special, and important.

I can't stress enough how good it felt to give myself completely to this show. To be filled up and poured out over and over again. To be around my theater family, a group that is so loving and supportive and kind. To be led by such fierce leaders who gave us all the space we needed to grow. Like I mentioned earlier, I often reflect on the passage of time, and realizing how quickly this summer has passed and how this experience can never be brought back saddens me. Yet I'm hopeful and thankful for the next chapter to start, one that I will get to write. In a little less than a month, I will begin rehearsals for "Our Town", a task that is just a little more than slightly daunting. I will get to put into practice the things that I have learned from my college professors and the wonderful directorial team at the Palace and carry on the legacy of excellence that our theater is known for. It is my turn now, and my hope is that I will be able to do this beautiful show justice, and give more people the chance to experience "the magic".

To those who think "Eh...community theater", I want you to know that I am 110% proud to be a part of the Marion Palace Theater and of the great things we have accomplished there. I think about the friends I've made and the things I've learned, and I know that I am blessed. To me, this small but mighty theater is practically perfect. And I know it will remain so.

No comments:

Post a Comment