Saturday, August 6, 2011

6am...Why am I awake?


Oh yes.

Because my girls are leaving today...all of the kids are, in fact. Last night they had their last shows and then we threw a party for them, which started with all sorts of sugary snacks on the staff side of the Dining Hall and finished with a talent show/sleepover in Pavilion. I even did a little number with Joe, one of the other counselors...it was quite silly. The kids had a great time talking and watching movies until all hours of the night, but this counselor fell asleep around 1:30 so if any shenanigans happened, I was completely out of the loop. The first few kids have already started to leave, and now almost everyone is up and packing and talking, despite only having a few hours of sleep. It's really sweet to see all of the tears and hugs...that really began during the talent show last night. Precious. I haven't cried yet, but I'm sure when my nest (cabin) is completely empty today, there will be tears. Or when I finally get home and all of the emotions from the past several months hit me at once.

I hate goodbyes. I hate leaving and being faced with the possibility of never seeing someone again. Many of the kids make promises to each other that they'll be back next year, but do they really know that for sure? I don't know if I'll be here. I'd certainly love to, but I don't know what other opportunities may arise. I certainly wouldn't mind, because I love these kids SO very much. At first, I was really nervous to have the younger YAI girls in my cabin...aka about thirteen 13 year olds. I wasn't really sure if they would mesh well, if they'd fit all the time, if they'd just think I was a total dork and give me no respect whatsoever. But you know what? I got a pretty fabulous group of young ladies-TWICE. They were funny, smart and sweet and I could tell how much they really did care for each other. Several times I caught them encouraging each other when one was hurt and it just touched my heart. Even though they were a bit older and sometimes acted "cooler" than our younger ones, they would still come up to me sometimes and just tell me that they loved me. This summer has been another affirmation that I need to be working with kids, in some way or another. I've recently been presented with the opportunity to teach acting at my old dance school. That could be fun. Do I really feel qualified? I don't know. I need to do some research and come up with some sort of game plan. It could be fun though...a little extra money, experience with kids...it could be good. I really wish I was Pilates certified right now, because then I could teach THAT. My old studio is the perfect place for it. The other day I also did an aerial workshop and hopefully maybe I can find some sort of place to do an aerial workshop somewhere around Ohio.

Maybe it's the lack of sleep, but the plans and thoughts in my head keep multiplying. Always.

For now, I'm looking forward to getting home in one piece and sleeping. And starting my new job at one of my favorite local restaurants. I've never been a waitress before, so this should be interesting....

No comments:

Post a Comment