Thursday, July 8, 2010

Goodbyes and Hellos...and nearly one month down.

Wow, so I definitely have meant to write more in this little blog over this summer, but I've seriously not had time! My Junior campers (5th-7th graders) got here about 2 weeks ago and since then, it's been a "hit the ground running" situation. We have to be with them 24/7 since they're just young'ns...aka we can't send them off to the cabin by themselves for long periods of time or send them out in the woods to play hide and seek. Me and my fellow counselor's patience was definitely tested a little in the beginning, but that's because I think the girls were trying to test US to see what they'd be able to get away with, which hasn't been much. We really haven't had to "lay down the law" too much with them...one incident sticks out to me. Honestly, I think that they're a GREAT group of girls and some of them definitely remind me of myself at that age. It's funny...when I hear how they talk and what they talk about I think "Was I REALLY like that when I was 12?" but chances are, I probably was. The talk about boys, the obsession with looking good, the slight competition between me and my friends during certain activities. For all of the rough times we've had (homesickness, illnesses, falling out of the bunk), there have been SO many more good memories made that I can't help but smile everday. In order to not have this blog go on forever and ever, I'm going to list the things I love about my girls, camp, Colorado, life (which is basically everything, but I'll try to limit myself).

P.S.-I canNOT believe it's almost been a month since that first rainy day that I landed in Colorado...where has all the time gone?

It's been a few days since I started this and sadly my campers left this morning. Yes, they tried my spirit at times but all in all, they were good girls and there were definitely a few tears as they left this morning. Eleven of our fifteen ladies checked out yesterday after their Showcase so we were left with 4 last night. Ice cream, movies and a sleepover in the bunk room with our girls were essential. I haven't been able to run these past few days but you better believe that I'm going to get back into it this week-I can't wait!

Things I love thus far (and a few things that I'll miss now that my girls are gone):
-the sound of their chatter and laughter as they woke up in the mornings.
-the coldness of each morning, but how I'm always warm cocooned in my sleeping bag.
-sitting on my outside stoop in the mornings, coffee, Bible and journal in hand. That spot is also great for writing letters.
-the hugs and "I love yous" I'd get from my girls...sheesh, I'm going to miss them TONS.
-bedtimes...singing my girls to sleep with a lullaby I wrote and a variety of other songs. Somehow I don't think the 8th-10th graders coming in a few days will appreciate such a thing...
-breakfast. I'm telling you, we probably have the best camp cook around. Oatmeal or french toast with little blueberries, walnuts, and bananas on top is amazing.
-being inspired to run because of the beautiful mountains and nature I see everyday.
-the peace I feel just walking around camp, breathing the air, smiling at people...God is here, and alive, and I pray that he's working through me everyday.
-LIFE. The one opportunity we have to live it, and live it fully.


The list can really go on and on...and on. The only thing that I'm struggling with now is that I haven't been able to go to church since I've been here. Thankfully the option is open to me, but what's been happening is that we have TONS of stuff happening on Sundays, and there really hasn't been time. I'm really happy that me and Sabrina, the assistant program coordinator here, will probably get to go tomorrow. In my own quiet time I mainly search the Word for something that jumps out at me or I'll look up specific themes I'm interested in here. I've also written out tons of encouraging verses and have them pasted all around my room. One of my favorites is from James, and it's the last part of a verse-it simply says "Mercy triumphs over judgement!" How simple, yet poignant is that? With this not being a Christian environment, there are many things I could be judgemental about, but where would that get me? What kind of impact would I be able to have then? I would just be another one of those hypocritical Christians that so many people have been hurt by these days...Christians who preach love, forgiveness and acceptance but who are the first to judge someone instead of love them, who are so adamant to push what they feel to be correct without listening to what anyone has to say. What I've learned is to love first...not believe in what someone believes in or completely change your morals and convictions to be accomodating...but realize that the person you're talking to is first and foremost a PERSON, created by God. And just as you've been redeemed and saved from the life you lived apart from Christ, there is that same potential for them. This is something God has been teaching me these past few years, and even more so this summer. And by staying strong in him and holding those convictions close he's given me, I've been able to fully love those around me and hopefully have some sort of impact on everyone I encounter. I've already had a few awesome conversations with a few people and by the grace of God, we've been able to talk openly and respect each other's opinions. God is mighty and I have no doubt that he will continue to work in me and through me, as long as I stay receptive to what he wants to teach me.

This is one of my new favorite verses that I'm going to carry around with me everywhere.

"Your decrees are the theme of my song, wherever I lodge."
Psalm 119:53-55


Back to laundry, relaxing, reading and a beautiful Colorado day.

No comments:

Post a Comment